Me and my colleagues from CERN are working on a new reporting tool to satisfy various administration needs of our organization. And trust me, as the largest particle physics laboratory in the world with over 15,000 people working here and a yearly budget over 1,000,000,000 CHF our admin departments are quite demanding.
I started working on an application for storing information about books I own and I figured out it would be great to have a page where all books would be represented by their covers. I reckon that in general having covers would greatly improve the look & feel of the website. My first idea was to simply allow users to load covers’ images from disk. As much as it did satisfy the general problem, the solution was far from neat. I could not help but see this as a big burden to the end users. So I figured out, let’s do it for them. Let’s find covers from the internet and let them choose which one they would like to use.